Arvi

14734_164554342077_96884377077_2856280_2297872_n The Arvi is a typical Cretan seaside village, from the mid 20th century and then developed rapidly because of elite banana and vegetable's.

For Viannou City is second, after the Upper Vianno, most important settlement in the municipality.

H rapid economic and population growth due to the constant rise of agricultural crops and especially vegetables and bananas are the dominant kalliegeies quantitatively in the region. Today the inhabitants numbered over 1,000.

Apart from bananas, Arvi is known for the "worthy sight gap" as described by Xanthoudidis the famous gorge. It has a large valley full of fruit and ornamental trees.

The valley stretches to the terms of Lydia notoplagia which functions as a barrier to the cold northern winds, while maintaining relatively high temperatures throughout the year. At the exit of the gorge (the foot of Arviou terms) is now the abandoned monastery of St. Anthony, which probably identified with the ancient place of worship of Zeus Arviou.

According to several cases of archaeologists based on significant findings (monolithic pillars, Roman tombs, etc.), the current Arvi identified with the ancient city Arvi or 'Alvi or "Albania, an independent city with its own currency and army, that dominated the region until 500 AD Especially during the Roman years, Arvi appeared to be the most important commercial centers of the Mediterranean.

This is supported by the discovery luxury sarcophagus (from white marble reliefs from all its sides) which will be buried one official said. The pieces of the sarcophagus were collected from the 'browser Englishmen Robert Pashley and transported to England.

The Arvi not inhabited by the middle in the 20th century. It is said that in the 15th century, the valley of the stagnant waters of the river that run through the gorge was home to malaria for many years plagued the region. So the only inhabitants were the monks of the Monastery of St. Anthony and some merchants.

Traders were here because Arvi worked as a commercial port through which transfers were products (beans, kernel oil) until 1937.

Then began the most moving of goods to road, and finally stopped commercial traffic during the German occupation, when it was banned.
The Arvi was inhabited from the mid 20th century or so (1950) and has since developed rapidly, mainly thanks to extensive crops, early planting.
Patron saint of Arvi is Agios Panteleimon, a beautiful church in the center of the settlement in place which have found ruins of an old monastery.


"Δύσκολο τον εαυτόν γνώναι, εύκολον τω άλλω υποτίθεσθαι".                                                               (Το να γνωρίζεις τον εαυτό σου είναι δύσκολο, αλλά εύκολο να συμβουλεύεις τους άλλους)                                                                                                                                    Θαλής ο Μιλήσιος 643 - 548 π.χ.